- 1 Quart or 950 ml
- 1 C (190 g) granulated sugar
- 1 C (240 ml) HOT water
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 C (40g) powdered sugar
- 2 C (450 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat granulated sugar and 1/4 C (60 ml) of the water in a large skillet on medium high heat until the sugar melts and boils, stirring occasionally.
2. Boil until mixture is a dark brown; remove from heat. Gradually stir in remaining 3/4 C (180 ml) water. (I love this part, cause the syrup boils up when the hot water is added) Cool to room temperature and set aside.
3. Beat eggs in a medium bowl until thick and lemon colored; gradually beat in powdered sugar.
4. Stir in cream and vanilla; stir in the caramel mixture. Chill.
5. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions.