Apples on sticks coated with semi-sweet chocolate and peanut butter candy coatings for a variation on an old classic.
- 10 apples, stems removed
- 10 to 12 wooden ice cream sticks
- 1 cup HERSHEY®’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 (10 ounce) package REESE’S® Peanut Butter Chips, chopped
- 3/8 cup shortening, divided
1. Line tray with wax paper. Wash apples; dry thoroughly. Insert wooden stick into each apple; place on prepared tray.
2. Place chocolate chips, 2/3 cup peanut butter chips and 1/4 cup shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl.
3. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. In necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Dip bottom three-fourths of each apple into mixture.
Twirl and gently shake to remove excess; return to prepared tray.
4. Place remaining 1 cup peanut butter chips and remaining 2 tablespoons shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Spoon over top section of each apple, allowing to drip
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Original recipe yield: 10 dipped apples.